Monday, February 2, 2009

I, a traditional Indian girl


I came into this world,
with closed tender fist,
with an unsure gait.
I was given a cute black mark,
on the corner of my forehead,
I was given a sacred locket,
around my neck
-to save me from evil eyes.
I was taught to touch my elders' feet,
blessings are saviours they said.
I grew up and was given curd,
every time I went for a test.
Chanting of hymns, chimes of temple bell,
blissful incense, and flowers fresh,
became a part of all my mornings.
The golden lamp near the tulsi plant,
the rangoli, the colors, the lords,
slowly defined my evenings.
The automatic folding of hands,
while passing by a temple,
the smile when you meet someone new,
the politeness with elders,
the love for youngers,
the kajal and the bindi,
flowers in long beautiful locks,
the bangles and anklet,
marked my understanding of adorn.
Trust but not a blind one,
hope and faith in unison,
I was given the keys to strength.
not to enter a house with slippers on,
a natural blush when complimented,
sweet words of encouragement,
and respect for everyone's rights,
tolerance and concern for others around,
were gifted to me gradually.
I learned to understand emotions,
and the power of voice modulation,
the meaning of silence and words.
A hug to steal away the pain
and a dance of joy,
sweets to mark celebration,
earning respect for oneself,
learning the art of composure,
I was growing intellectually and morally.
I know you will agree,
that there is no end to this saga.
I have lived it,
and I have loved it.
I - an integral part of India.
I - a Traditional Indian Girl,
......and proudly so!
P.S. thank you so much Leo for making me a part of this intellectual space. I am so happy contributing my first few words to "The Gateway of India".

10 comments:

RiverSoul said...

And you've definitely made an awesome inspiring and beautiful contribution, pink.
:)
Thank you, and welcome to the gateway

nan said...

*Applause*
too gud :)

Anonymous said...

see... kajal is entering with a hit entry! :)

loved it dear!

The Solitary Writer said...

nice kan :)

Anonymous said...

@Riversoul: thank you.. i am looking forward to my time here.. :)

Anonymous said...

@Nan: thank you girl! :)

Anonymous said...

@Vinu: you are always kind leo..

Anonymous said...

@Stibu: thank you stibu :D

Ankita said...

hii

nice poem..very nice rather BUT do u really think the condition of women in India is good??? families modern or traditional, society low, middle or upper, every religion treats the fairer sex unfairly... inspite of all the ga ga we go about our Indian girls, they face a deplorable condition in India..sadly but YES.

AS

Anonymous said...

@A.S : hey times have changed, but I agree that we have long way to go still ...thanks for commenting.. :)